Monday, March 12, 2012

Distance = Speed x Time



I'm feeling somewhat mellow tonight.

Kinda hard to explain why, most probably 'coz it's just that time of the month. Or perhaps year. When all the celestial objects align themselves in that certain way and start pulling my mood this way and that.

And then again, I may be bullshitting my way through here.

Anyway, fitting my mood, I'm gonna talk -- well, write actually -- about the 2 opposing schools of belief in regards of separation. And no, I'm not talking about divorce or break up or anything heavy like that. Nope, the separation I meant here is more to the LDR kind.

Well, maybe I should've just said that this post is, in fact, about LDR. But again, then this will be a much shorter post, and that wouldn't do, right?

So, back to the topic, there are 2 schools of thought regarding separation.

The first believes that "absence makes the heart grow fonder". This opinion is mainly supported by the romantics, who believe that if you don't see your loved one for an extended period of time, the love between the two of you will keep growing, and growing, and growing, until it will finally burst out in a climactic moment when you two finally do get to meet.

The other school is the proponent of "out of sight, out of mind". The realists usually preach this, and this belief is not without its own merits, frankly. Logically speaking, when two persons are separated by a sizable distance and couldn't fully keep track of what the other is up to, well then, that leaves lots and lots of openings for things to go awry, doesn't it? Especially so if the separation we're talking about happened for an extended period of time.

Me? I'm a Gemini, so I get to be a bit of both.

While I agree that not seeing your loved one for a long time will indeed let something grow, I'm a bit skeptical if that something will be love. Yearnings, perhaps. Lust, very probable too. But in regards to love, I believe that it takes lots of nurturing to grow, physical contacts being one of the essential components to achieve that. A need that calling and skyping just can't fill. And I actually believe that a simple hug, when done properly and earnestly, can convey feelings that will go a long long way, perhaps even further than sex. 

Call me weird, but I'll stand my ground. 'Coz this came from firsthand experience.

Oh, and yes, I believe that distance and lack of supervision will make one susceptible to...errors. We're only human after all. In absence of one, we may unintentionally seek the warmth of a physical companion, especially in times of weakness and when lacking sobriety.

Well, that's my take, anyways.

You are, of course, fully entitled to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment